Monday, July 6, 2009

Attitude is Everything

OK, in talking to about a dozen of my athletes over the past week I keep on coming back to one
recurring theme. We've all heard it but it is so true. Attitude is everything. Now I don't mean the kind
of 'attitude' that some people hold - like their sweat doesn't stink... No, I mean that any athlete or fitness seeker can realize success if they have the right perspective.

Success is a definite motivator. So allowing ourselves to acknowledge our achievements however big or small
is a great exercise. Success is fun and having fun leads to success. As I say, the road to achieving a goal is as important as the goal itself.

One of my favorite clients, a great guy named Billy, who has just achieved a 4th degree in Taekwondo is not only a great martial artist, he is a great person. In a conversation he said something that was music to my ears. His words, I thought were a true window to his sole. He said something to me that was so simple but so essential to success. His statement was, "I like to have a good time." This statement is pure and it is what everyone should say. We do the things we do because we want to have a good time. But wait... not always. I constantly witness people loosing sight of the big picutre. It shows in their attitudes that are characterized sometimes by a bit of drudgery or guilt and are often accompanied by statements like, "...ok, I'm going to drag myself through this...." Or sometimes phrases like, "do I have to do this?"

My vision detects a sort of conflict or possibly, said in a different way, I see mixed signals. Why do we want to tell ourselves anything but that which is consistent with the direction of our goal. Sadly, I think we learn as adults to be adults. Adults can do things. When we can'd do things or when something is not familiar to us many of us tend to shy away from doing it. It could be anything from dancing to skiiing to riding a bike. If we are not proficient, we steer clear of engaging in that particular activity. And especially when we are being watched.

How do we break through this. Billy and I love to discuss new training techniques. He will try any new exercise or fitness move I throw at him in the gym. In another discussion he spoke about how we have to be a child sometimes. If you think this sounds like hogwash, you are exactly the person who needs to be more of a child - at times. Let me clarify what I mean. A child of learning. Instead of assuming that you are supposed to be good at something because you are an adult you need to clear that thought out of your mind. You must assume the mind of the child and try that something. Within reason, we need to forget our chronological age and be a child and get out there and do it. (Disclaimer... if it is an activity that is beyond a certain risk threshold, like freestyle bmx jumping... get some instruction first... I say that with humor...)

So today's post, just be a child at heart and in attitude. Especially if it leads to venturing into the unknown of a new and potentially rewarding experience.

Have fun!

Coach Dave



Back to my client

No comments: