Saturday, July 11, 2009

Stuff vs Skill

So many times I see people, athletes, get too unbalanced in regards to what they think will help them improve at their given sport. It seems get caught believing that the stuff they buy will help them improve more than building their skill and or conditioning.

It certainly gets a little distracting especially when you see sports like swimming start to go in this direction. Swimmers now have new speedy suits that are pretty much like wetsuits that enable swimmers to float better and thus attain greater speeds. These are a sore subject with me - I'm for banning them. But in my other sports, I see and hear people talk about the products with as much emphasis or even instead of talking about the skills and conditioning and improving these areas which is what is really going to make the difference.

True, it is fun to go out and buy all the latest coolest equipment for your sport. In cycling and triathlon you have everything from whole new bikes, to the parts that go on them. Stuff like super light racing wheel sets, new lightweight groupos (components), aerobars, helmets, wetsuits and every other little gadget. I agree that some pieces of equipment are clearly a must while others are honestly a little beyond what we can really use.

Just today, on my way to the motocross track I was talking to a fellow mx rider and he was telling me that I should get a new exhaust system so that I'd have more power. He continued that there are some good engine mods (modifications) that I could have done that would also boost my horsepower... Funny thing is, I'm not close to stretching my bike to the limit yet. My bike is stock. Additionally, I lent my bike to an athlete I coach who is a pro motocross rider Stephen (Stella). I do fitness training with him. His skill level is far beyond mine. I had the pleasant opportunity to see what my bike is capable of and darn it looked good. He was flying over a nice 100 foot table top jump. He was turning the bike like it was on rails. Poetry in motion to see him ride.

What I'm getting at is that athletes who want to improve should put their resources into getting help with improving their own performance. Coaching and technique lessons on a regular basis will far outweigh even the best equipment. I fully support getting good equipment because after all, it's kind of hard to ride without a bike... But once you have the stuff, like a bike for example. Get some coaching. I'll say it again, get some good coaching. Get your technique checked out and work regularly with a good coach. This is going to make the biggest difference in your improvement and your enjoyment out of your sport.

I'm not saying not to buy all that fun new stuff. That can be a great reward for hard work. Also, safety gear is always good to have. Just make sure that you are keeping focused on improving your skills, your techniques and your conditioning first.

Keep improving!

Coach Dave

No comments: