Friday, July 24, 2009

Keep it Simple

What a great saying, "keep it simple." Life, our lives and the social politics that surround everyone and everything create such complexities that I am convinced we would all be much better off if our main goal was to... keep things simple.

One way to do this is to be ourselves. Say what we mean instead of trying to say what we think someone else might want to hear. Say what we mean and if we find ourselves, ah, how shall I say this, if we are not quite correct or accurate in our words then we should just suck it up and eat our words. Maybe we could say sorry or maybe we could say something to set the record straight. Then, we could move on.

What we say, is hopefully a reflection of what we believe. But I can think of a dozen times when for whatever reason I have heard someone say something that they really don't believe is true. Why do they say these things? Well, often it is out of anger or maybe just in the heat of a debate.

What on earth does all this have to do with athletics? Well everything. For example, I hear people dread about a set in swimming that is offered by a coach or a triathlete who is dreading a long bike ride. The say things like, "do I have to?" Quickly my reply is "absolutely not." You do not have to do this. Here is a great word. Want. I love to hear someone say, I want to do that... whatever "that" is. From desire comes want. My hope today is that all of us have a desire to do something active. And from that we want to get out there and do it!

Go forth all!
Coach Dave

No comments: